I’m Johannes Jasper, a software engineer, bike enthusiast, and hobbyist home-brewer from Berlin.
I currently work at neXenio, where I help building Bdrive, an end-to-end encrypted, zero-knowledge file sync and sharing application.
My main interest as a developer lies in building scalable, well maintainable, and secure service-oriented applications. I consider myself “full-stack” in the sense that my focus reaches from the API, the event-based service architecture, the deployment pipeline, down to the infrastructure where I mainly use Docker and Kubernetes.
While I have my roots in Python and Ruby on Rails, I mainly target the JVM using Java and Kotlin with Spring Boot at the moment.
I graduated from Hasso-Plattner-Institute where my focus shifted from human-computer interaction to deep learning and natural language processing.
In the course of my studies, I authored and contributed to the following publications:
- Jasper, Johannes, Philipp Berger, Patrick Hennig, and Christoph Meinel. “Authorship Verification on Short Text Samples Using Stylometric Embeddings.” In International Conference on Analysis of Images, Social Networks and Texts. Springer, 2018.
- Staubitz, Thomas, Maximilian Brehm, Johannes Jasper, Thomas Werkmeister, Ralf Teusner, Christian Willems, Jan Renz, and Christoph Meinel. “Vagrant Virtual Machines for Hands-On Exercises in Massive Open Online Courses.” In Smart Education and e-Learning. Springer, Cham, 2016.
- Grundke, Maximilian, Johannes Jasper, Mariya Perchyk, Jan Philipp Sachse, Ralf Krestel, and Mariana L Neves. “TextAI: Enhancing TextAE with Intelligent Annotation Support.” In SMBM, 2016.
- Cheng, Lung-Pan, Thijs Roumen, Hannes Rantzsch, Sven Köhler, Patrick Schmidt, Robert Kovacs, Johannes Jasper, Jonas Kemper, and Patrick Baudisch. “Turkdeck: Physical Virtual Reality Based on People.” In Proceedings of the 28th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software & Technology. ACM, 2015.
- Staubitz, Thomas, Jan Renz, Christian Willems, Johannes Jasper, and Christoph Meinel. “Lightweight Ad Hoc Assessment of Practical Programming Skills at Scale.” In Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON). IEEE, 2014.
- Schmidt, Dominik, Raf Ramakers, Esben W Pedersen, Johannes Jasper, Sven Köhler, Aileen Pohl, Hannes Rantzsch, et al. “Kickables: Tangibles for Feet.” In Proceedings of the 32nd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2014.
- Willems, Christian, Johannes Jasper, and Christoph Meinel. “Introducing Hands-on Experience to a Massive Open Online Course on OpenHPI.” In International Conference on Teaching, Assessment and Learning for Engineering (TALE). IEEE, 2013.